Hyderabadi Chicken Gravy Recipe
- 500 gms Chicken (curry cut with bones)
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped- 85-90 gms)
- 1 medium Tomato (chopped)
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
For the Onion-Spice Paste:
- 1 small Onion (sliced, 50 gms)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coconut (chopped)
- 1 no. Cinnamon (1 inch piece)
- 3 nos Cloves
- 2 nos Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder (use Spice Eats Garam masala powder)
- 2 tbsp Curd (plain yogurt)
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Mint Leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Refined Oil
- To prepare the Onion-Spice Paste, add all the items in a grinder/blender, coarse grind it and then add 3 tbsp water and make into a paste.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes, coriander & mint leaves.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan & fry the chopped onion on medium heat for 5 mins till it is light brown.
- Add the Onion-Spice Paste and fry for about 2 mins on medium heat. Continue to fry it for another 3 mins on low heat till oil separates.
- Now add the Ginger garlic paste, mix and fry for 2 mins on low heat.
- Add the Turmeric, Red Chilli and Coriander Powder, mix and add a splash of water and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, give a mix and add a pinch of salt . Continue to cook it on medium to low heat for around 5 mins till the tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the chicken, give a mix and fry/bhunno it on high heat for 2 mins.
- Add 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder & 1 tsp salt, mix well and bhunno/fry it on medium heat for around 5 mins. Continue to fry for another 5 mins on low heat till the chicken is browned and oil separates.
- Add the whisked curd/yogurt on low heat, mix well and continue to cook on low heat for 5 mins stirring till the yogurt is cooked.
- Now add the chopped coriander & mint leaves, mix well and cook for around 2 mins.
- Add 200 ml water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for around 15 mins till the chicken is tender.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!