Ingredients for Dahi Chicken:
- Chicken, large pieces with bones- 500 gms
Make coarse paste with:
- Green chillies-4
- Mint leaves- 3 tbsp
- Ginger- 1 inch piece chopped
- Garlic cloves- 8 cloves
Whole spices/Garam masala:
- Bay leaves- 2
- Green cardamom- 3
- Peppercorns- 10-12
- Mace- 1 small
- Onions sliced- 2 medium
- Coriander leaves chopped- 3 tbsp
- Thick curd/yogurt- 150 gms
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Oil- 4 tbsp
- Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic, mint leaves and green chillies in a blender/ grinder.
- Slice the onions and chop the coriander leaves.
- Whisk the curd/yogurt.
- Heat oil in a Kadai/pan.
- Add the whole spices, give a stir and when it splutters, throw in the sliced onions.
- Fry the onions on medium heat for around 10 mins until golden brown in colour.
- Now add the coarse paste, give a mix and fry on low heat for around 2 mins.
- Add the turmeric, coriander & Garam masala powder, mix well and add a splash of water (4 tbsp). Continue to fry it on low heat for another 2 mins.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Now add salt and chopped coriander leaves, give a mix and continue to fry/bhunno on medium heat for 5 mins till the chicken is browned.
- Now lower the heat and add the whisked curd/yogurt. Mix well and continue to cook on low heat for around 5-6 mins till oil separates.
- Add 150 ml water, mix well and cook covered on low heat for around 20 mins till chicken is tender. Keep stirring in between.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 2 mins.