Ingredients for Punjabi Chicken Gravy Recipe:
- Chicken, curry cut with bones- 500 gms
- Whisked curd/yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
For paste, to be fried & blended:
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Green cardamom- 4
- Cinnamon- 1/2 inch piece
- Black cardamom-1
- Bay leaf-1
- Onion sliced-2 medium
- Ginger chopped-1” piece chopped
- Garlic cloves- 5
- Oil- 1.5 tbsp
- Tomato purée- 1 cup or purée of 2 fresh tomatoes
- Red Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder-2 tsp
- Cumin powder-1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi (Roasted and Crushed) – 1 tsp
- Amchur powder (Dry Mango Powder)- 1/4 tsp
- Oil- 3-4 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, curd/yogurt & salt as specified. Set aside for 30 mins.
- To make the paste, heat oil in a pan & add all the whole spices as specified above, sliced onions, ginger & garlic. Mix well & fry it on medium heat for 4-5 mins till the onions are soft & start changing colour. Remove and cool. Grind it into a coarse paste first, then add 3 tbsp of water & blend it into a smooth paste.
- Make a purée of 2 medium sized tomatoes. Alternatively use readymade tomato purée.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan & add the blended paste.
- Sauté & stir on medium heat for around 4 mins till the mixture is fried & oil separates. Make sure the colour doesn’t become brown.
- Now add the tomato purée and sauté for around 2 mins till oil separates.
- Add the Red Chilli powder, Coriander and Cumin powder, mix well and sauté on medium to low heat for around 5 mins till oil separates. You can add a splash of water and continue sautéing if the masala tends to stick to the pan.
- Now add the marinated chicken and fry & stir it on high heat for around 3 mins.
- Continue to bhuno(sauté)on medium heat for another 10 mins.
- Mix it well, lower heat to minimum and cover & cook for 5 mins.
- Remove lid, add garam masala powder, give a stir and then add 250 ml water and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Mix it well and cover & cook on low heat for 15 mins.
- Now add the fenugreek leaves & Amchur powder. Mix it and simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.