Bhuna Chicken | Bhuna Chicken Fry | Bhuna Chicken Masala
Bhuna Chicken is a roasted gravy chicken originating from North India. The chicken is sautéed with the Bhuna Masala along with Onions and Tomato puree till the thick saucy masala clings to the chicken pieces.
Pair this delicious dish with a naan, roti or rice. This finger-licking treat is a guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
Bhuna Chicken Recipe
- 500 gms Chicken (with bones)
For the Marination:
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
For Bhuna Masala:
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 3 nos Cloves
- 4 nos Green Cardamom (only seeds)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 nos Dry Red Chillies (halved)
- 3 medium Onions (chopped, around 200 gms)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 medium Tomato Purée
- 3 tbsp Curd (plain yogurt, whisked)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 tbsp Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 tbsp Refined Oil
- Marinate the chicken with salt & turmeric powder, set aside for 30 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and add the chicken pieces. Sear it on high heat for around 3-4 mins to seal the juices. Set aside.
- To make the Bhuna Masala, dry roast the whole spices in a pan for 3 mins on low heat. Take it out on a plate to cool. Grind it into a masala powder in a grinder/blender.
- Blend 3 chopped tomatoes into a purée in a blender.
- Chop the onions and the coriander leaves, whisk the curd/yogurt.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan.
- Add the cumin seeds and the halved red chillies.
- Give a stir and add the chopped onions. Mix it well and add 1/2 tsp salt. Fry the onions on medium heat for 10 mins till brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add the ginger garlic paste. Fry on low heat for 2 mins and then add the tomato purée. Mix and continue to fry it on medium heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
- Add the fried chicken and mix & fry it on high heat for 1 min.
- Now add the red Chilli powder and the Bhuna Masala. Mix it well and bhunno/fry it on medium heat for around 3 mins. Add a splash of water to prevent it from burning.Continue to bhunno/fry on low heat for another 3 mins.
- Reduce heat to low/switch off heat and add the whisked yogurt. Mix well and switch on heat on low. Continue to cook on low heat for 2 mins.
- Mix and cover & cook on low heat for 10 mins. ( Give a stir after 5 mins)
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, mix well and simmer for a minute or two.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!