Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Boneless chicken bite sized pieces- 300 gms
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
For the Batter:
- Maida/All Purpose Flour- 3 tbsp measure
- Cornflour- 2 tsp measure
- Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Egg white- of 1 egg
- Chilled Water- 4 tbsp
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- Tomato Ketchup- 4 tbsp
- Sugar- 3 tbsp
- White Vinegar- 3 tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce- 3/4 tsp
- Green bell peppers/capsicum cubed- 1 cup (around 70 gms)
- Red bell peppers/capsicum cubed- 1 cup ( around 70 gms)
- Oil- 1/2 tbsp oil + oil for deep frying the chicken
- Wash and leave the chicken pieces/fillets to drain.
- Pat dry if required and cut them into bite sized pieces. You could use a mix of boneless dark and white meat, makes the chicken pieces moist and juicy.
- Marinate with salt and pepper powder and set aside for 20 mins.
- Add all the ingredients of the sweet and sour sauce in a small bowl and give a mix. Set aside for use later.
- Prepare the batter/mix as per ingredients specified above.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a skillet or wok or kadai.
- Once the oil is medium hot, dip the marinated chicken pieces in the batter and drop them in oil side by side to not crowd the pan.
- Fry the chicken pieces on medium heat for 1 minute without turning them.
- After that keep turning & frying the pieces for another 4-5 mins till golden in colour. Take it out & repeat the same with the next batch.
- Now take a wok or kadai and add 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Keep it on high heat and add the cubed peppers. Stir fry on high heat for 1 minute and then add the sweet & sour sauce. Mix and continue to fry on high heat for another minute till the sauce is cooked and thick.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces, give a mix and continue to stir fry to coat the chicken pieces well with the sauce. This should take around 2 mins.
- Serve with noodles or fried rice.