Yakhni Mutton Pulao Recipe
For making the stock (Yakhni) -
- 500 gms Mutton (medium pieces with bones)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Shahjeera (Caraway seeds)
- 2 nos Black Cardamom
- 2 nos Cinnamon (1" pieces)
- 4 nos Cloves
- 1 no Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 12-15 nos Black Peppercorns
- 1 no Javitri (Mace-1 flower)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Powder (Jaiphal, grated)
- 8 nos Garlic (cloves with skin, crushed)
- 1" piece Ginger (juliennes or thick slices)
- 2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 cups Water (600 ml)
For the Pulao -
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (2 cup measure)
- 2 medium Onions (sliced)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tbsp Curd (or Yogurt, whisked)
- 3 nos Green Chillies (slit)
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves
- Saffron (few strands, soaked in warm milk)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Refined Oil (or ghee)
- To boil the mutton & prepare the stock (Yakhni), heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add all the whole spices and give a stir. Now add the mutton pieces, salt, crushed garlic and ginger slices/ juliennes.
- Mix and fry on medium heat for 2 mins till the mutton changes colour.
- Add 3 cups (or 600 ml) of water, give a mix and close pressure cooker. Pressure cook till 3 whistles (on high heat till 1st whistle, then lower heat and continue for 2 more whistles)
- Allow the cooker to release pressure on its own.
- Once pressure is released, strain the Yakhni/ mutton stock and remove the mutton pieces.
- (Make sure the Yakhni is 600 ml (about 3 cups). If not, add water to make it 600 ml (3 cups). The rice will be cooked in this Yakhni or mutton stock)
- Soak the rice for 30 mins and drain the water just before making the Pulao.
- Fry the onions till golden, remove and set aside.
- Take out the mint leaves & slit the green chillies.
- Whisk the curd/ yogurt and set aside.
- Heat refined oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add the bay leaves, slit green chillies and mint leaves. Give a stir and then add the boiled mutton pieces and 3/4th of the fried onions (birista). Mix and fry on medium heat for a minute.
- Lower heat and then add the whisked curd/ yogurt and the garam masala powder. Mix and fry on low heat for 3-4 mins till the curd is cooked and oil separates.
- Now add the drained rice, give a mix and fry for a minute on medium heat.
- Add the saffron infused milk and give a mix.
- Add the yakhni (measure & make sure it’s 3 cups- 600 ml, if not, add water to make it 3 cups).
- Add 1 tsp salt and give a mix.
- Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook on high heat for 2 whistles.
- Allow it to release pressure.
- Garnish with the balance fried onions.