In this Indo-Chinese version of the chicken lollipop, the chicken winglets are shaped into lollipops and then fried. For the drums of heaven these fried lollipops are tossed in a mix of schezwan sauce and tomato ketchup.
The succulent chicken lollipops glazed with the tangy sauce make this an irresistible starter for any meal.
Mutton Biryani for Beginners
- 1 Kg Mutton (or Goat Meat), large pieces with bones
- 700 gms Basmati Rice 4 US cup measure
For Marinating the Mutton:
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 5 tbsp Biryani Masala (readymade, store bought)
- 1 cup Curd/Yoghurt whisked
- 5 nos. Green Chillies slit
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 cup Mint Leaves chopped
For Cooking the Mutton:
- 5 tbsp Refined Oil
- 5 nos. Green Cardamom
- 5 nos. Cloves
- 3 nos. Cinnamon
- 5 medium Onions 400 gms + 1 medium to be made into a birista
For Cooking Rice:
- 3/4 tsp Shahjeera caraway seeds
- 4 nos. Green Cardamom
- 4 nos. Cloves
- 2 pcs Cinnamon
- 2.5 tbsp salt
- 2.5 litres water to boil the rice
- 10-15 nos. Mint Leaves
- Marinate the mutton with the items indicated and set aside for 1 hour.
- In case not using pressure cooker, marinate for 4 hours or overnight in a refrigerator.
- Slice the onions ( all the 6 onions) and slit the green chillies
- Fry one sliced onion into a birista till golden, set aside for use as a garnish.
- Chop 1 cup coriander leaves and 1 cup mint
- Whisk the yogurt and set aside
- Wash & soak the Basmati Rice 30 mins before you cook it.
To cook the Mutton :
- Heat 5-6 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker or heavy bottom pan and add the whole spices.
- Give a stir and when it splutters, add the 5 medium sized sliced onions.
- Fry on high heat for around 12 mins till the onions are light brown.
- Now add the marinated mutton, mix and fry on high heat for 3 mins.
- Now continue to fry the mutton on medium heat for another 5 mins till oil separates. (Readymade Biryani Masala usually contains salt, hence salt is not added while cooking the mutton in this recipe. Do check if the biryani masala you are using has salt in it or else add as per your taste.)
- Add 150 ml water, give a mix and close the pressure cooker. In case the pressure cooker has a whistle cook for 3 whistles ( on high heat till 1st whistle and on low for next 2) or for 15 mins when using a different kind of pressure cooker.
- In case you’re not using a pressure cooker, continue to cook covered on low heat for 45-60 mins till meat is tender and add water as & when required. Give a stir few times so that it doesn’t get stuck at the bottom.
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid & dry up any excess water to get a thick gravy.
To cook the Rice:
- Take one more heavy bottom pan & add around 2.5 litres of water. Place it on high heat.
- You may include the water in which rice was soaked in this 2.5 litres for enhanced flavour & taste.
- Once the water starts to boil or bubble, add Shah Jeera – 3/4 tsp, Green cardamom -4, Cloves – 4, Cinnamon- 2 pieces and Salt- 2 1/2 tablespoon (two and half tablespoon)
- Stir it well to dissolve the salt completely . The water must be very salty.
- Once the water starts boiling, add the strained basmati rice & stir it well.
- Continue to boil it on high heat, stirring few times very gently to not break the rice.
- After around 8-9 minutes when the basmati rice is almost done (90%) remove it from heat and strain the water. Set it aside.
Layering the rice and cooked chicken:
- Take a heavy bottom pan and spread half the cooked rice as the 1st layer.
- Now spread the cooked mutton with gravy on top of the rice uniformly as shown in the video.
- Next, spread the balance rice as the top layer.
- Sprinkle the birista & mint leaves on top of the rice. Close the lid and cook on low heat for 7-8 mins.
- Allow it to rest for around 15 mins.
- Once you open the lid, mix the meat and rice evenly to serve.