Gurda Kaleji Masala | Kaleji Masala Curry | Goat Liver Curry
A healthy and mouthwatering Mughlai dish made from goat liver and kidney. The goat liver is considered to be very healthy meat and is often eaten for nutrition. The Kaleji Masala Curry is spicy, scrumptious, and a great coming together of most of the common Indian spices.
Pair this delicious dish with a naan, roti or rice. This mouth drooling dish is sure to make you want more!
Gurda Kaleji Masala
- 500 gms Goat Liver/Kidney (mix of liver and kidney)
For the marination:
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 3 tbsp Curd/ Yogurt
- 2 nos. White Onion around 150 gms
- 3 nos. Green Chillies
- 5 nos. Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 inch Ginger chopped
- 3 nos. Green Cardamom
- 4 nos. Cloves
- 2 nos. Cinnamon
- 10 nos. Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- 1.5 tsp Kasuri Methi Fenugreek leaves (roasted and powdered)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 4 tbsp Refined oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- Remove the thin membrane on top of the liver and halve the kidney and remove the skin.
- Cut the liver into small pieces and wash it well. If the liver pieces are too dark or smell, you can soak the liver pieces in water in which 1/2 tsp vinegar has been added. Soak it for 15 mins and then wash it with plain water and then drain well.
- Once the water is drained, marinate the liver and kidney with the items specified above. Do not add salt while marinating.
- Make a paste by adding the onions, green chillies, garlic cloves and chopped ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai and add the whole spices (garam masala) for tempering. Give a stir and then add the paste made earlier. Mix it well and fry on medium to occasionally low heat for 8-9 mins till light brown in colour.
- Now add the marinated liver and fry on high heat for 2 mins. Now add the Kashmiri Chilli Powder and continue to fry on medium heat for another 3 mins.
- Add the salt and 150 ml water, give a mix and cover & cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- Now, open the lid and add the garam masala powder and Kasuri Methi (roasted & powdered)
- Mix well and simmer for 2 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, give a mix and serve.