Punjabi Mutton Curry Recipe
- 500 gms Mutton ( with bones)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 100 gms. Curd (plain yogurt, whisked)
Onion-Tomato Spice Paste
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 5 nos. Green Cardamom
- 5 nos. Cloves
- 2 nos. Cinnamon ( 1" pieces)
- 1 no. Black Cardamom
- 10 nos. Black Peppercorns
- 2 medium Onions (slices- 150 gms)
- 2 medium Tomato (sliced)
- 1.5 tbsp Refined Oil
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3/4 tsp Kasuri Methi Powder (Kasuri Methi roasted & crushed)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (for seasoning)
- 4 tbsp Refined Oil
- Marinate the mutton pieces with the items indicated. Set aside for an hour.
- To make the Onion-Tomato Spice paste, heat 1.5 tbsp of refined oil in a pan and then add the fennel seeds, the whole garam masalas, black cardamom & whole black peppercorns. Give a mix and then add the sliced onion.
- Mix and fry on medium heat for around 3-4 mins till the onions are soft and slightly brown.
- Now add the sliced tomatoes, mix well and continue to fry on medium heat for 2 mins till tomatoes are little soft.
- Set aside, allow it to cool & blend it into a smooth paste.
- Heat 4 tbsp refined oil in a pan/pressure cooker and add the ginger garlic paste.
- Reduce heat and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Add the blended paste, mix well and fry on medium to low heat for around 4 mins. Make sure the colour doesn’t turn brown.
- Now add the marinated mutton, mix and fry it on high heat for around 4 mins.
- Reduce it to low heat and add the Kashmiri Chilli powder, Coriander powder and Cumin powder.
- Mix well and bhunno the mutton on medium heat for around 5 mins.
- Once the masala (spice mix) & mutton pieces are browned well and oil separates, add 1/4 tsp garam masala powder & 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste). Mix and simmer for a minute and then add 250 ml water. Give a mix.
- EITHER pressure cook the mutton for 4 whistles (on high heat till 1st whistle, then reduce heat to low and cook for 3 more whistles. Switch off heat and allow the pressure to release on its own.)OR continue cooking covered in a heavy bottomed pan for another 45-60 mins till the mutton is tender. You can add more water as and when required.
- Once the above is done, add roasted & powdered Kasuri Methi (fenugreek leaves), mix well and simmer for another 3 mins.