Ingredients for Punjabi Mutton Gravy Recipe:
- Mutton with bones- 500 gms
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli powder- 2 tsp
- Whisked curd/yogurt- 100 gms
For paste, to be fried in oil and blended:
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Green cardamom- 5
- Cloves- 5
- Cinnamon- 2 small pieces
- Black cardamom- 1
- Black peppercorns- 10
- Onions sliced- 2 medium (150 gms)
- Tomato sliced- 2 medium
- Oil- 1.5 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri Methi powder (roasted & crushed)-3/4 tsp
- Salt for seasoning- 1/4 tsp
- Refined oil- 4 tbsp
- Marinate the mutton pieces with the items indicated. Set aside for an hour.
- To make the paste, heat 1.5 tbsp of refined oil in a pan and then add the fennel seeds, the whole garam masalas, black cardamom & whole black peppercorns. Give a mix and then add the sliced onion.
- Mix and fry on medium heat for around 3-4 mins till the onions are soft and slight brown.
- Now add the sliced tomatoes, mix well and continue to fry on medium heat for 2 mins till tomatoes are little soft.
- Set aside, allow it to cool & blend it into a smooth paste.
- Heat 4 tbsp refined oil in a pan/ pressure cooker and add the ginger garlic paste.
- Reduce heat and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Add the blended paste, mix well and fry on medium to low heat for around 4 mins. Make sure the colour doesn’t turn brown.
- Now add the marinated mutton, mix and fry it on high heat for around 4 mins.
- Reduce it to low heat and add the Kashmiri Chilli powder, Coriander powder and Cumin powder.
- Mix well and “bhuno” the mutton on medium heat for around 5 mins.
- Once the masala (spice mix) & mutton pieces are browned well and oil separates, add 1/4 tsp garam masala powder & 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste). Mix and simmer for a minute and then add 250 ml water. Give a mix.
- EITHER pressure cook the mutton for 4 whistles (on high heat till 1st whistle, then reduce heat to low and cook for 3 more whistles. Switch off heat and allow the pressure to release on its own.)
- OR continue cooking covered in a heavy bottom pan for another 45-60 mins till the mutton is tender. You can add more water as and when required.
- Once the above is done, add roasted & powdered Kasuri Methi (fenugreek leaves), mix well and simmer for another 3 mins.