Ingredients for Special Masala Chicken:
- Chicken, medium sized pieces with bones- 500 gms
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Make a paste of:
- Roasted Almonds- 8
- Green cardamom- 3
- Cloves- 3
- Cinnamon- 2 small
- Khuskhus (Poppy seeds)- 1/2 tbsp
- Dry red chillies- 4
- Ginger chopped- 1” piece
- Garlic cloves- 6-7
- Sliced onions, fried golden and crushed in a blender- 2 medium onions
- Tomatoes sliced- 2 small (100 gms)
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Refined oil- 4 tbsp
- Clean, wash & keep the chicken pieces in a colander for the water to drain.
- Roast the items indicated in a pan on low heat for 3 mins, remove and set aside to cool.
- Grind/blend it into a paste after adding ginger and garlic too.
- Fry the sliced onions, set aside to cool and crush in a grinder/blender.
- Slice the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai.
- Add the chicken pieces, give a stir and fry on high heat for 3 mins till the chicken pieces change colour. The chicken pieces will release water so allow that to dry up too.
- Now add 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and continue to fry on high heat for another 3 mins.
- Add the blended paste, mix & fry on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Next add the coriander powder, mix & continue to bhunno on medium heat for 2-3 mins till masala coats the chicken pieces & oil separates.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, mix well & fry on medium heat for 2 minutes & then cook covered on low heat for 5 mins till tomatoes are soft. Open the cover & stir once in between.
- Add the crushed/powdered fried onions, mix and bhunno/simmer for another 2 mins on medium to low heat till oil separates.
- Add 250 ml water & 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, mix and cook covered on low heat for 15 mins till chicken is tender.