Ingredients for Palak Chicken:
- Chicken, small pieces with bones- 500 gms
To marinate with:
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder-2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
- Spinach leaves, sliced fine- 100 gms (around 3 cups)
- Onions, fine chopped- 200 gms (or 3 medium sized onions)
- Tomatoes, sliced- 100 gms ( or 2 small red tomatoes)
- Green chillies, halved and slit- 2 nos.
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Refined oil- 4 tbsp
- Salt for seasoning- a pinch
- Cut the chicken into small pieces, wash and marinate with the items mentioned.
- Set aside for 1 hour.
- Fine chop the onions and slice the red tomatoes.
- Wash and finely slice the spinach leaves. Leave out the stalk.
- Cut the green chilies into halves and slit them.
- Heat oil in a a kadai or pan and add the chopped onions.
- Fry on medium heat for 12-13 mins till it is brown in colour.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces, mix well and fry/bhunno on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Continue to fry/bhunno on low heat for 5-6 mins till chicken is browned and oil separates.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, mix well and fry it on medium heat for around 2 mins.
- Now add 100 ml water, mix well and cover & cook for 5 mins on low heat till the tomatoes are soft and pulpy & oil separates.
- Add the sliced spinach leaves and mix well.
- Now add the slit green chillies, cumin powder and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well, keep the heat on low and cover & cook for 15 mins stirring a few times, till chicken is tender and oil separates.