Ingredients for Karahi Mutton:
- Mutton- 500 gms (with fat and bones)
- Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
- Onions, sliced- 2 medium
- Tomatoes, sliced- 2 medium
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Whisked curd/yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Green chillies, chopped- 3
- Ginger julienned- 1 small piece
- Refined oil- 3 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi (roasted and powdered)- 1.5 tsp
To make Karahi Masala:
- Coriander seeds- 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Peppercorns- 1 tsp
- Whole red chillies- 4
- Dry roast the items specified for Karahi Masala in a pan on low heat for 3 mins till the items are roasted and release flavour. Take it out on a plate and allow it to cool.
- Transfer to a grinder/ blender and grind it into a powder. This should give around 6 tsp of Karahi Masala which is sufficient for 1 kg mutton. We’ll use 3 tsp of this powder for 500 gms mutton.
- Clean & wash the mutton pieces.
- Slice the onions & tomatoes, chop the green chillies, cut an inch of ginger into juliennes and whisk the curd/yogurt. Keep little coriander to be chopped later for use as garnish.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Add the sliced onions, mix well and fry for a minute on medium heat.
- Add the mutton pieces, mix well and stir for a minute on medium heat.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, mix well and fry for a minute.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and fry on medium for a minute.
- Now reduce heat to low and cover & cook on low heat for around 15 mins till the onions & tomatoes have softened. Open the lid and give a stir in between.
- Now add 250 ml water, give a mix and cover & cook on low heat for around 40 mins till the mutton pieces are tender. (Alternatively you can also transfer it to a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles till the mutton is tender.)
- Once the mutton pieces are tender, lower heat and add the whisked curd/yogurt.
- Mix it well and cook on low heat for around 4-5 mins till it is cooked and oil separates.
- Add 3 tsp of the karahi masala that was made earlier and mix it well.
- Now add the chopped green chillies and ginger juliennes, mix and cook for 5 mins on low heat. You can add little water if required.
- Add the roasted, powdered Kasuri Methi, mix it well and simmer for 2-3 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.