Ingredients for Chicken Hyderabadi:
- Chicken, curry cut with bones- 500 gms
- Onions, finely chopped- 1 medium (85-90 gms)
- Tomato, chopped- 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste- 1.5 tsp
For the onion-spice paste:
- Sliced onion- 50 gms
- Fresh coconut chopped-2 tbsp
- Cinnamon- 1
- Cloves- 3
- Cardamom- 2
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp (use Spice Eats Garam masala powder)
- Whisked Curd/yogurt- 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Chopped mint leaves- 2 tbsp
- Refined oil- 2 tbsp
- Make a paste of the items mentioned. Add all the items in a grinder/blender, coarse grind it and then add 3 tbsp water and make into a paste.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes, coriander & mint leaves.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan & fry the chopped onion on medium heat for 5 mins till it is light brown.
- Add the ground paste and fry for about 2 mins on medium heat. Continue to fry it for another 3 mins on low heat till oil separates.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste, mix and fry for 2 mins on low heat.
- Add the turmeric, red chilli and coriander powder, mix and add a splash of water and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, give a mix and add a pinch of salt . Continue to cook it on medium to low heat for around 5 mins till the tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the chicken, give a mix and fry/bhunno it on high heat for 2 mins.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder & 1 tsp salt, mix well and bhunno/fry it on medium heat for around 5 mins. Continue to fry for another 5 mins on low heat till the chicken is browned and oil separates.
- Add the whisked curd/yogurt on low heat, mix well and continue to cook on low heat for 5 mins stirring till the yogurt is cooked.
- Now add the chopped coriander & mint leaves, mix well and cook for around 2 mins.
- Add 200 ml water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for around 15 mins till the chicken is tender.