Ingredients for Chicken Aloo Curry
- Chicken, curry cut with bones – 1 kg
- Potatoes, medium sized, halved- 5
For the paste:
- Onions, sliced & fried- 4 medium
- Tomatoes, quartered- 4 medium
- Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder- 2.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Whole Garam Masala/ spices-
- Green cardamom- 5
- Cinnamon- 1” piece
- Cloves- 5
- Black cardamom- 2
- Whole peppercorns-6
- Salt-2 tsp
- Green chillies, slit and halved- 3
- Coriander leaves, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Oil- 5 tbsp
- Fry the sliced onions till golden. Remove & allow to cool. Quarter the 4 tomatoes.
- Grind together the fried onions and the quartered tomatoes into a smooth paste by adding 2 tbsp water.
- Heat oil (you can use the same oil in which onions were fried) in a kadai or pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Once it splutters, add the ginger garlic paste and fry on low heat for 2 mins.
- Now add the fried onion-tomato paste and fry on medium to low heat for 10 mins till oil separates.
- Add the chicken pieces & cook on high heat for 5 mins till it changes colour.
- Now add all the spice powders and 1.5 tsp salt, fry on medium heat for another 5 mins.
- Continue to ‘bhuno’ the meat for another 3 mins.
- Add 200 ml water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- Open the lid and add the potatoes, slit green chillies, whole Garam Masala/spices and 1/2 tsp salt. Give a stir and add 100 ml (or more if required) water.
- Cover and cook for another 10 mins on low heat.
- Open lid and stir once, then cover and cook for another 5 mins till both the chicken and potatoes are tender/ cooked.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves, mix and simmer for a minute.