Ingredients for Bhuna Gosht/Bhuna Mutton:
- Mutton, small pieces with bones- 500 gms
- Onions, finely sliced- 2 medium
- Ginger garlic paste- 2.5 tsp
For the Bhuna Masala:
- Coriander seeds- 4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cinnamon- 2 small pieces
- Cloves- 4
- Black cardamoms-2
- Green cardamom-4
- Black peppercorns-25
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Green chillies- 2 cut into halves
- Curd/yogurt whisked- 3 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Refined oil- 3 tbsp
- Chopped coriander for garnish- 2 tbsp
- Roast the spices for the Bhuna Masala in a pan on low heat for 3 mins. Remove to a plate, allow it to cool and then grind it to a fine powder.
- Slice the onions, cut the green chillies and chop the coriander leaves for garnish.
- Heat 3 tbsp refined oil in a pressure cooker/ heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the sliced onions & fry on medium heat for 10 mins till golden.
- Now add the mutton pieces, mix and sear/bhunno the mutton on medium heat for 5 mins by adding splashes of water.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, mix and fry for 2 mins on low heat.
- Now add the turmeric & Kashmiri Chilli powder, mix and bhunno for 5 mins on medium heat by adding splashes of water. Bhunno till the mutton is browned and oil separates.
- Add 200 ml of water & pressure cook for 4 whistles till mutton is tender. Alternatively, continue to cook covered in the pan for 45 mins till meat is tender.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid & transfer to a pan/kadai. Mix 3 tbsp of whisked curd/ yogurt , add the green chillies and continue to cook on low heat for 2-3 mins till the yogurt is cooked. Continue to cook on medium heat to dry any excess water that is there.
- Add 3 tsp of the ground bhuna masala powder, mix well and fry on medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Continue to bhuno the meat for 2-3 mins on medium heat till dry.
- Serve with naan or rice