Ingredients for Bhuna Chicken:
- Chicken with bones- 500 gms
To be marinated with:
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
To dry roast & powder:
- Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
- Cloves- 3
- Green cardamom seeds- 4
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole red chillies, halved- 2
- Chopped onions- 3 medium ( around 200 gms)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Tomato purée- 3 medium tomatoes
- Whisked curd/yogurt- 3 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves- 3 tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Refined oil – 3 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with salt & turmeric powder, set aside for 30 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and add the chicken pieces. Sear it on high heat for around 3-4 mins to seal the juices. Set aside.
- Dry roast the whole spices in a pan for 3 mins on low heat. Take it out on a plate to cool.
- Grind it into a masala powder in a grinder/blender.
- Blend 3 chopped tomatoes into a purée in a blender.
- Chop the onions and the coriander leaves, whisk the curd/yogurt.
- Heat oil in a Kadai/pan.
- Add the cumin seeds and the halved red chillies.
- Give a stir and add the chopped onions. Mix it well and add 1/2 tsp salt. Fry the onions on medium heat for 10 mins till brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add the ginger garlic paste. Fry on low heat for 2 mins and then add the tomato purée. Mix and continue to fry it on medium heat for 2 mins till oil separates.
- Add the fried chicken and mix and fry it on high heat for 1 min.
- Now add the red Chilli powder and the roasted powdered masala/spice. Mix it well and bhuno/fry it on medium heat for around 3 mins. Add a splash of water to prevent it from burning.Continue to bhuno/fry on low heat for another 3 mins.
- Reduce heat to low/switch off heat and add the whisked yogurt. Mix well and switch on heat on low. Continue to cook on low heat for 2 mins.
- Mix and cover & cook on low heat for 10 mins. ( Give a stir after 5 mins)
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, mix well and simmer for a minute or two.