Ingredients for Aloo Mutton Curry:
- Mutton, with bones- 500 gms
- Onion, sliced- 2 small (total 100 gms)
- Fried onions crushed- 1 medium onion
- Ginger garlic paste- 2.5 tsp
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2 small (total 100 gms)
- Potatoes peeled and halved- 4 medium
- Green chillies, slit- 2
- Curd/yogurt, whisked- 2 tbsp
Whole garam masala/spices for tempering:
- Cumin seeds/Jeera- 1/2 tsp
- Green cardamom- 4
- Cloves- 4
- Cinnamon- 1 inch piece
- Black cardamom- 1
- Black peppercorns- 10-15
- Bay leaf-2
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 3.5 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp seasoning at the end
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Slice a medium sized onion and fry it till golden. Remove from oil & allow it to cool. Crush it with your hands or rough grind it in a blender/grinder.
- Also slice 2 small onions and set aside.
- Chop 2 tomatoes, peel and halve 4 medium sized potatoes. Keep in a bowl of water to prevent it from turning brown.
- Slit 2 green chillies.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan and add the whole spices.
- Give a stir and add the sliced onions.
- Fry the onions for 5-6 mins on medium heat till they are translucent.
- Now add the mutton and fry it for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, mix it well to coat the mutton and fry for 3-4 mins on medium heat.
- Add all the spice powders (other than garam masala powder) and 1 tsp salt. Mix well and bhunno/ fry on medium to low heat for 10-12 mins.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, mix and fry on low heat until tomatoes are soft and mushy. This should take around 6-7 mins.
- Add the whisked curd/yogurt, crushed onions & green chillies and mix well. Continue to cook on low heat for 5 mins till oil separates.
- Now add the potato halves, mix and fry for 2 mins.
- Add 200 ml water, mix and add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker and add more water to cover the meat and potatoes.
- Close the lid and cook till 3 whistles (on high heat till 1st whistle and turn it to low heat after 1st whistle).
- Serve with rice or roti